Monday, March 30, 2009

Hope

"Hope is a gift of the Spirit. It is a hope that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the power or His Resurrection, we shall be raised unto life eternal and this because of our faith in the Savior. This kind of hope is both a principle of promise as well as a commandment, and, as with all commandments, we have the responsibility to make it an active part of our lives and overcome the temptation to lose hope... Hope is not knowledge, but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promise to us. It is confidence that if we live according to God's laws and the words of His prophets now, we will receive desired blessings in the future. It is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverence." - President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I have been reading conference talks and I read this one today. I actually read it right before I watched the political shows I like to watch. It was a great prelude because President Uchtdorf's words put everything back into the right perspective. Despite all that is going on in our world, we can still have hope - hope in Christ, His promises, and the blessings waiting for us. Above all, because of Christ and His gospel, we can always find peace, happiness, and hope because we know that there is so much more than the troubles of this world. I feel so truly peaceful when I read over this quote because I know that the most important thing I can do right now is actively maintain my hope in Christ, and that everything will be okay. And that makes me very happy.

No comments: