Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A big pat on the back to you women

Have you ever noticed how acceptable all the follies and foibles of being a man is, but how unacceptable a woman's are. You know, "boys will be boys" followed by a wink and a pat on the back. Or what about, "That's a man" followed by another pat on the back. Why do they always do that anyway? I remember sitting in a fireside for Relief Society in one of my singles wards at BYU talking about this very thing. The speaker, who was a marriage and family counselor, was telling us that men just don't like to talk, so we shouldn't expect much when we got married. Why couldn't he, instead, tell the men that women need to talk and so they should start working on their communication skills? Instead, the world pushes women to become like men. To lay aside their natural ability to be emotional - in a good way, to sympathize, nurture, love. Anyway, my point is that I love being a woman, follies, foibles and all. I know I have written about this before, but I do. We get to be mothers. We nurture, guide and mold our children, and in return become the center or their sweet worlds. I would take that over any high power, high paying job. We get to experience the joy of creating a happy home, a good meal, or a beautiful project. We can multitask!
I firmly believe that men and women were created differently so that we could complement each other in our lives and our families. I am glad that men have the responsibilities and strengths they do because we need them. I think it is important, on the flip side, that the world recognize the power and importance women hold in their responsibilites and strengths too, because it is immense. This is not a "I am woman hear me roar" post, but an "I am woman, watch me live" post. I hope the world learns to find joy in womanhood, to appreciate women for all they do...as women.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I agree with how too often, in a wordly view, men are excused for bad behavior like that's just the way they are. That is one reason I"m so grateful for the church. I think that men and women were created with the difference in how we talk, or don't talk, so we could balance each other out. I think men sometimes have a tendency to not want to talk but likewise I think (as much as I hate to admit it) women have the tendency to what to rehash and dwell upon things too much. Some of it is good. Often I figure things out just because I spent so much time thinking and talking about it. The simple act of saying it out loud made all the difference. I can think of many times in talking to a friend, even though I had spoken about it before, I finally figured it out. I also can think of times when rehashing seemed to fuel the fire. I think that's why we are different so we can hopefully be humble enough to grow from each other. It should not just be one having to change their nature but learning and growing and allowing some other the other person to rub off on you. I say it's a two way street!