Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A happy medium...

So, I have been getting into politics more and more. What I mean, I guess, is that I have been watching the news, political programs, and the like a whole lot. I really feel passionately about what I believe politically, and I feel like my ideas have become better defined. The downfall is that, because I do feel so strongly about it all, it tends to all get more negative than I want it to.

As I was watching one of my favorite political shows, Glenn Beck, I flipped to the history channel to see what was on. There was a show on about the Book of Revelation and what I felt was completely different. What I feel even more passionately about is my spiritual beliefs. There is nothing stronger for me, especially because it encompasses my family. I wondered if I should just focus on the spiritual.

But then I realized that that is not what we are supposed to do. We are to be involved in our communities, governments, and societies. The trick is figuring out how to do it in a non-combative, effective, positive way. So that is what I need to do, find the happy medium between standing up for something I strongly believe in, but doing it calmly. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've thought about my own lack of political involvement as well - I was pretty gung-ho when I left BYU, but it quickly ran out. My visiting teacher gave me some great insight this month when she came to visit. It is our duty as mothers to defend the family. She said it's especially important to know what is happening on the world political stage for this because policies are being made that will affect the US. So, I've decided to focus my community involvement around that kind of thing. And education - I can't help that after being in the field. We have to be advocates for not only our own children, but the children in our community. What are the conservative groups around you? Maybe if there were one that had ideals similar to yours, you could offer to do things from home (mailings, etc.). And if all else fails, the Lord requires us to be knowledgeable and VOTE. You talking to your boys about elections and them seeing you make the effort to go out and vote will stick with them...and who knows where those little guys will take it in the future?