Friday, July 24, 2009

I've got to do it

Okay, I am not one to talk, especially on a blog, about pop culture. I find most of it absolutely ridiculous and therefore not worth talking about. But there is one thing that I am so disturbed by that I am going to talk about it. When I had cable I used to watch "Jon and Kate Plus 8" and now we all know what happened there - drama and divorce. Now he is off party hopping around the world with different women on his arm, piercing his ears, smoking, buying sports cars, etc. He essentially is trying to gain back his youth and freedom. He stated many times in the show that he was too young to have as much responsibility as he does. But here's the problem - he chose to have that responisbility. He chose to get married. He chose to have kids. And with those choices comes responsibility. (Now, I know that maybe there are other issues at play and this could be simplistic, but I think we can agree that his actions are pretty irresponsible.) Fortunately for those kids, they have a mother that is completely devoted to them.

I love seeing people embrace the responsibility of children - who have them and don't begrudge the change in lifestyle. Because a change of lifestyle it is. You are no longer free. You have responsibilities that you can't just lock in a cage like a pet. But you also have extreme joy, growth, and love. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I look at the door and consider just walking out. But you can't find what children and family give you in parties, wealth or fame - or in anything else for that matter. But you have to sacrifice yourself to find those things. And you won't regret it. There is time in life for everything. Some day your kids won't be young and demanding and you will have time for all the pursuits you dream of. But there will not be another time to wrestle your little kids on the floor, sing with them when they are silly or hold them close with they are sad. And that is what I remember when both my boys are yelling at each other or whining at me all day - someday they will be grown and I will long to have them young again.

No comments: