Thursday, July 2, 2009

Growing older...

I've been thinking a lot about my age lately. I honestly thought it would never bother me to be getting to thirty. Often maturity and abilities are judged by age and so I've always wanted to get to that age when no one can say, "well you don't know because you are young..." I suppose it is just vanity, but I wanted to achieve the respect that comes with age. But now that it is coming, I'm not so sure.
This year I will turn 29. Next, 30. Wow, even writing it sends me into shock! I am afraid that I looked forward so much to maturity that I didn't fully enjoy youth. I did fully enjoy my college years, so I suppose this all started when I got married and had kids - I felt like I should be older and more mature. So, I am setting a goal to act my age, to have fun and worry a little less about how people perceive me in this season of life. Right now I don't have to run kids around to every activity, be in the PTA or make a name for myself in the community. More importantly, I don't have to be perfect in order to prove to people that I am mature and capable, even in my twenties. It doesn't matter. Right now I get to run around with my kids, learn new skills and just do my best at whatever I do.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You are so funny! I think you are an amazing woman and wise beyond your years. You care about the community and how to help make it better. You support your husband in both his church calling and in his schooling. You are an amazing mother of two very busy little boys and you are always willing to help friends in need. You are a strong, faithful member of the church and were a huge help to me when we worked together. You are more mature than some forty year olds!