Friday, January 2, 2009

Lesson in parenting - doing what is best

Today is day one of the pacifier weaning. There has been much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth...by everyone involved. In fact, I am listening to both boys cry right now. There are many times that I wish I could just give my boys everything that will make them happy. But I know that is not possible. My body can't physically hold them all day (nor could my sanity handle it!) I can't let Jordan eat candy or chocolate or fruit snacks all day. And they need to be happy without their pacifiers. Oh, but they find such comfort from them! But this is what is best for them! But isn't making them happy what is best for them? Will they be happy when they are at college still sleeping with a pacifier? Maybe! Okay, I guess not. So, I'm learning this lesson again - sometimes it seems counterintuitive - that doing what is best for your children isn't always what makes them happy in the moment. *deep breath* I can do this...
And hopefully soon I'll be seeing more of this -

No comments: