Thursday, January 1, 2009


I remember watching The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was younger. To me it was always a kid's movie. I guess I was too young to understand then. I suppose that is why, when the new movie came out a few years ago, I definitely wasn't running out to see it. But I did. And I loved it. Then the second movie came out. We just watched it while we were in Utah this past week and I can say that I more than loved it. These movies were not just entertaining. They were spiritual to me. I got so much out of them and felt so full after watching both.

I remember when Mike and I saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We must have received free movie tickets because we were at a theatre. This was in Portland, Oregon, a place that is not exactly Christian friendly. While sitting in that room, we understood the story C.S. Lewis described. We saw the atonement of Christ, His compassion and love for man. Our potential as children of God, aka sons of Adam and daughters of Eve. We couldn't help but wonder what others in that room would think if they knew the importance of the real message being presented to them that day. Would they feel the joy we felt knowing that just as Aslan freed the people of Narnia from wickedness, Christ had done the same for us on this earth? Would they rejoice even more knowing that no matter what, the cunning of evil could never triumph over the love of Christ?

A couple years later, as I watched Prince Caspian, I couldn't help but feel those same emotions of joy. Knowing that we, through Christ, have power to overcome anything. That, as Lucy was the seemingly weakest among the characters, she was the strongest because of her faith. That as Aslan returned, so too will Christ.

I decided, as part of my goal to read more, I am going to read the Chronicles of Narnia series. There is no doubt in my mind that C.S. Lewis was an inspired writer. I have begun the first. The recounting of the creation of Narnia is beautiful. I can't wait to read all seven books, to partake of their message. To be entertained and inspired.

1 comment:

Mishqueen said...

My very favorites are Dawn Treader and Silver Chair. Can't wait until those are movies!

Each book addresses a different theme in the gospel of Christ. You might have some fun researching that, if you haven't already!

;-)