Friday, September 19, 2008

The *blessing* of having a mimicker

My son is a mimicker. Anything and everything. If I take a drink, he takes a drink. If Evan sneezes, you can count on a chorus of sneezes from Jordan. When Evan crawls, Jordan is right there with him. And if a friend falls down, you can bet Jordan will be there to fall down too. I have been really frustrated with his mimcking lately - we can't get him to not do something someone else is doing. But I had a slight epiphany about it today (well, you can call it an epiphany or a rationalization to regain some sanity...)
Pretty much anything I do I see Jordan doing. The other night Mike was teasing me and I tapped his face in protest. Jordan didn't understand and hit Mike in the face and laughed. I realized that I literally need to watch everything I do or say around Jordan. In effect, by trying to raise Jordan to be the person I want him to be, I am becoming the person I want to be because I know he will watch everything I do. I can't say those things that I wouldn't want him to say or do those things I wouldn't want him to do. I guess it turns out that having a mimicker is quite the blessing after all because as he grows and understands more, I need to make sure that I am a good model for my little mimicker.


Jordan insisted on being swaddled just like the baby...my little mimicker!

No comments: