Sunday, February 1, 2009

All the better to see you with.

I wear glasses. Have ever since seventh grade. The timing has never worked out for me to get contacts and now they are way too expensive. But that's okay. I don't mind. In fact, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world cares a whole lot more than I do.

Okay, here's what I mean. I have noticed throughout the years that glasses aren't popular. In fact, they are way more often than not equated with geeky, nerdy, unpopular, awkward people. If you ever see a movie where a girl is transformed through a make-over, glasses will inevitably be taken off. The other day I was watching a show that I enjoy, What Not to Wear. They were doing a woman's makeup and gave her contacts while inferring that she couldn't really be pretty with glasses on. I couldn't believe it. Here is yet another message to girls and women alike that they aren't good enough. If you have glasses, you will not be pretty. Then I saw another such show that told the woman that she looked older with glasses and they took them away. And, when I was in college, I actually had a boyfriend tell me that if we got married I couldn't wear my glasses that day. Really?

Fortunately I married a man who thinks I look good with or without glasses and doesn't care, and who let me where them on our wedding day, even for the pictures!

This is who I am, I wear glasses. And it is okay.



Someday when I am rich and famous, I will make a movie. In this movie the heroine will be beautiful, funny, talented, intelligent, loved by all, and she will wear glasses...the whole time!

No comments: