Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tolerant?

So, I have to rant. This means it may not be coherent or make any sense, but I just need to get it out there!
We hear a lot about tolerance. We are supposed to be tolerant of different lifestyles, people's choices, different cultures, races, and faiths or the lack thereof. Someone who embraces all of these differences is "tolerant." Have you ever noticed, however, that those who are supposed to be the most tolerant - those who support gay marriage, abortion, etc - are generally selectively tolerant?
I am a conservative Christian. I have my beliefs and faith, which I accept as truth. As such, I incur the wrath of the "tolerant" in our society. When Mike was going to school in Portland, he was a definite minority, and his beliefs were looked down on because he didn't accept everything in the world and society as okay. One day in class a fellow classmate admitted to being Christian but had been too afraid to tell anyone because of how looked down on it is. I also remember a story on the news there that sums it all up. There is a part of downtown Portland that is decorated for the holiday season each year. Large representations of several faiths were put out to celebrate. However, the cross, as the Christian symbol, was vandalized repeatedly. They were thinking they might not be able to keep putting it out. Now, why were no other faiths' symbols treated so? I know that these kinds of attitudes and actions are not just present in Portland. I've seen them everywhere. I was watching America's Next Top Model (yep, guitly pleasure!) when they were talking to a prospective contestant who happened to be LDS. The judges were appalled that her parents were upset with her when she had sex at age 16. Why can we not have morals without being looked down upon? Why can't tolerance include those who have standards and morals, faith and beliefs?
So, I guess that as society becomes more and more "tolerant" we will also become less and less moral, wholesome and good because that lifestyle is not "tolerant," "cool," or "right." Fortunately, we have knowledge and faith that is not tossed to and fro with the world. I will just have to take comfort in knowing that my seemingly narrow view according to the world is the one that not only brings me joy here but will forever.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nicely said Erica! I think about that a lot and honestly I couldn't have written it so eloquently. I'm so grateful for our knowledge of the restored church and the rock that is in our lives and the peace it provides by living it.

By the way I really like your new blog. I like reading this stuff! :)