Friday, October 10, 2008

The joy of creation

I am left brained. No doubt about it. Until recently the only non-left brained thing I did was music, and even that was more a mastery of technique. But about five years ago I decided to explore the right side of my brain a bit more.
I had just had a hard break-up and I decided that while I was waiting around I should learn something new. So, I learned to cook more. To me, this is definitely a creative talent. I wanted to learn how to put ingredients together to create something that tasted and looked good. Well, the looking good part is still coming, but I learned that I love cooking and coming up with new ideas.
After I became pregnant with Jordan I really wanted to figure out a fun way to keep his baby book in which I could put anything and everything that I wanted to remember. Pictures, stories, facts, thoughts, etc. I decided to take the plunge and start scrapbooking. I had always resisted entering that far into my right brain, but I did it. And you know what? I love it! I love thinking of new ways to make a page fun and cute while telling everything I want to. Now, this doesn't come easy. I look in magazines and other people's scrapbooks to get good ideas. But, the more I do it, the easier it is to come up with it on my own.
Lately I've been feeling like this isn't enough. I just have had such a strong desire to make things. I have about four or five different projects that I am gathering materials for. Before, I always thought there was no way I could just make something I got an idea for. I would just search and search for something like it. But now I think, "why couldn't I just make that?" I love the feeling I have when I have accomplished a project. I am still a work in progress, but I can tell it is getting easier.
Then, at the General Relief Society meeting, President Uchtdorf spoke about finding happiness. He said that to find God's happiness we need to do those things that he does, or at least try to emulate them. One of the attributes he spoke of was creation. He told us how we all have the desire to create and that we can find happiness in doing so. He said that it doesn't have to be a craft project or good dinner, but it could be a home, or something like that. Whatever we can do, we should find ways to create. I just loved his talk because I have felt those same feelings lately. So, I am going to continue to cultivate my right brain and find joy in it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great post Erica! You are good at scrap booking, I must say! What projects are you working on?