Sunday, October 26, 2008

The little things that make a big difference

Are there those things in your life that just bring you joy, that nourish your soul? Wow, I know that sounds cheesy, but really, are there? Things that are so inherently good that you can't help but feel uplifted afterwards. I have been thinking tonight about how important these things are to me, to keep me happy, energized, and calm. Now, my list is probably a little different from yours, but here it is: Anne of Green Gables and Avonlea, miniature golfing with my husband, a good conference talk, talking with a good friend, my boys' laughs, daydreaming of Paris, and many others. Tonight I was feasting on one of these things that fills me with utter delight - The Little Prince.
I love the Little Prince. Up until now, I had only read it in French... about ten times at least. It is beautiful, poetic, deep yet simple. I love it (did I mention that already?!) I suggested to my book group that we read it next month, and they agreed. So, tonight Mike and I started to read it in English. I am so excited that he is willing to read this with me because I honestly feel like it is a part of my soul now. Maybe it is the simple stories that say so much about our society. Maybe it is something about seeing the world through the eyes of a child and the simplicity of life and joy he finds. Maybe it is my desire to be a kid. In any case, I could literally feel my battery recharging. I want to share some little insight from the book that would demonstrate to you how wonderful it is, but I am at a loss of even where to begin. It is all wonderful. If you have an hour free that you could use to uplift your spirit, read The Little Prince. You'll be happy you did!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I will have to read it. I never have. I've never even heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lindsay said...

Erica! I have owned the Little Prince (in english only) since high school and now it is great because Jacob (my four year old) likes me to read it to him before bed! It is refreshing, isn't it?:) (This is Lindsay Earnshaw Toone by the way!)