Monday, April 13, 2009

It isn't just a justification...I promise!



I know what I am about to say will probably make many moms shudder, but I let my kids eat lunch on our couch. I know, awful. But there's a reason...another confession. I want them to watch tv. I am a huge fan of PBS. They have great shows for kids, especially the ones around lunch time - Word World, Super Why, and Sid the Science Kid (they don't watch all of them everyday, just whichever is on when they eat lunch). Jordan actually knows the sounds of about ten letters because of these shows. I know in a perfect world I would be teaching him these sounds myself, but I do practice them with him. The boys both love these shows. Jordan will repeat letters, sounds, and science ideas that he learns. So, I like them having that time...and I feel less guilty about getting to eat my lunch in peace in the kitchen.

As an aside, I think I am going to start doing phonics with Jordan. He loves learning, especially about letters and the little bit we go over from these shows he gets really excited about. We are teaching him that different letters make different words, and I think he will get it. I don't think he will be reading any time soon, nor will I try to make him, I just think he would really enjoy it. I learned how to read with the Spalding phonics program and I am excited to share with him the phonics cards I grew up with and actually enjoyed. So, we will see how it goes.

1 comment:

The Hekking Family said...

That just makes you an awesome mom. No worries John and I use to eat every meal on the couch until we got our nice table so you are doing great.